Thursday, March 20, 2014

, , ,

Sushi Cake [Rice Cooker Recipe]

Today is the 20th of March! Today is his 21st birthday! Hurray!!! *partypoppers*

To mark this special birthday, I planned ahead and made a special cake for him. Yup, it is the sushi cake. The reason why I thought of making a sushi cake is that: he has this constant craving for sushi. Every 2 or 3 days, he will be whining about wanting to eat sushi, pleading me to just give him some sushi rice and seaweed so that he can satisfy his weird cravings! Therefore, I just thought like, "Hey, maybe I can do a fusion of something like a cake and also like sushi?" I did try to Google for sushi cakes but all I get are pictures of sponge cakes decorated with fondant sushi. That's not what I am trying to look for, and I couldn't find a recipe and tutorial available online. In the end, I just decided to create my own version of a sushi cake. 

Tadaaa! This is my sushi cake! ♥♥♥

Ingredients:
2.5 cups of raw Japanese rice
1 cup of sushi vinegar
Mayonnaise
1 can of tuna in brine
1 small avocado
Several cherry tomatoes
21 medium-sized prawns
1 packet(box) of Korean roasted seaweed
Salt
Click to 'read more'!

Since I'm doing this all by myself from scratch, I decided to draw out a plan for my cake. I'm serious, I really did that, HAHA!

This is my 'cake plan'. In my plan, my cake was suppose to be
round but it ended up square anyway... so, haha! ☺
After planning, now we can start on making the cake.

STEP 1: PREPARE ALL THE RAW INGREDIENTS

First, soak the avocado and cherry tomatoes in a bowl of water after rinsing.
Wash the prawns too, then set aside.

This is the tuna and mayonnaise that I used.

Open up the box of roasted seaweed, then cut up the seaweed into really small
pieces. Here, the shape don't matter. Just make sure it is small enough like above.
PS: This is really tedious work.

Oh, and once again. This is the sushi vinegar that I use. It is already pre-mixed
in the bottle so I do not need to add salt and sugar into it anymore. Very convenient!

STEP 2: BOIL THE PRAWNS

Boil a pot of water in the rice cooker and add about 3 tbsp of salt into it.
Throw in the prawns and let them boil for about 5-7 minutes. Once done,
dish up the prawns and set aside to let it cool down.

STEP 3: COOK THE RICE

Remove the water used to boil the prawns previously and wash the pot.
Put in 2.5 cups of Japanese grains and rinse them properly. To determine how
much water is needed to cook the rice, just put your palm flat on the surface
of the rice and see that the water line reaches the level of your knuckles
on your hand. This is how I was taught to cook rice and it works pretty well.
Press the 'cook' button and leave it until it is done.

STEP 4: PEEL THE PRAWNS

While waiting for the rice to cook, you can now peel the prawns. Peel off the
prawn head. Then, peel off the shell on the body until the last segment only!
Leave the last segment and the tail on the prawn as shown above.
PS: Special thanks to my roomie Jia Qi who peeled all the prawns for me because
I am super skill-less in peeling prawns. HEE! ♥

STEP 5: SEASON THE SUSHI RICE

Once the rice is done, start mixing in the sushi vinegar and make sure the rice
and the sushi vinegar mixes well. It is going to be very hot, but it is necessary to
do this step while the rice is still hot. Be careful not to let them hot steam
hurt you! If you think 1 cup of sushi seasoning is not enough to season the rice,
you can add in more seasoning. It is up to your taste preference!

When you've reach your desired taste of the sushi rice, scoop out about 2
cups of cooked rice into a separate bowl.

Mix in the cut seaweed into the separate bowl of rice. Set aside.

STEP 6: LAYER THE SUSHI CAKE

Before you start layering your sushi cake, start by finding a suitable mold.
Here, I am just using a square lunchbox. Make sure it is clean!

Start by putting a layer of seasoned rice in the container. About
1/2 inch thick layer, should be sufficient. Use a spoon to spread and flatten the rice.

Squeeze some mayonnaise on to the layer of rice. (Up to how much you like)

Use another spoon to spread the mayonnaise evenly.

For the second layer, use all the seasoned rice that was mixed with seaweed
previously. Flatten the layer of rice with a spoon.

Squeeze another layer of mayonnaise on top of the rice. After that, open up the
can of tuna and spread some of the tuna on to the layer of mayonnaise. 

For the third layer, use all the seasoned rice left in the rice cooker and fill up
the container until it reaches the top. If you have extra rice even if you've
filled the container to the top, just leave out those extra rice. By using a spoon,
try to flatten the rice as much as possible so that they will be compact and
won't break apart when you flip them out of the container later.

STEP 7: FLIP OUT THE CAKE AND START DECORATING!

This is the cake when I just flipped it out of the container. I flipped it out on
to another plastic container cover as I didn't have any other flat surface which
is portable! My resources are limited, haha! ☺

I sliced the cherry tomatoes into halves and thinly sliced the avocado too.
I did the slicing right before decorating because I'm afraid the avocado will
turn brown if I left it out for too long! Then it wouldn't look pretty.

This is the end-product after I've done decorating. This is just a simple
design which I thought of myself. Of course, the decoration of the cake
could be done in any other way which you all prefer. Even the toppings
of the cake can be changed as it is your very own sushi cake ♥

There you have it! My very own idea of a sushi cake for that special someone's birthday ♥♥♥

Do leave a comment if you liked my idea of making a sushi cake for a birthday celebration!
I hope you enjoy doing it too :D
Happy cookin ' ☺


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment