Saturday, September 6, 2014

, ,

Loh Mee Recipe [ 卤面 ]

Hello! It's been a looong time since I posted a new recipe despite the fact that I went through a long holiday. I had been super busy all holiday that I didn't have much time to experiment with new recipes. Two days ago, I was shopping for groceries in Tesco and I saw the thick yellow egg noodles for sale. My immediate thought was, "Gosh, I miss having Loh Mee...". The Loh Mee that I crave for isn't the type that we can usually find in northern Malaysia where they use thin yellow noodles and have a darker broth. The Loh Mee that I crave for tastes a little bit like shark-fin soup as it is served with black vinegar and it looks like this! 



Ingredients: (Serves 2 big portions)

400g of thick yellow egg noodles
150g of sawi bunga (choy sam, 菜心)
350g of boneless chicken breast meat
2 eggs
80g of fish cake
2 small garlic whole bulbs
1 cube of chicken bouillon cube
Light soy sauce
Black vinegar
Salt
Sugar
Cornflour


STEP 1: PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS 

This is roughly most of the ingredients used to cook this noodle. 

Pluck the choy sam leaves and chop it up into smaller lengths. I chose to
discard the thick stem at the bottom.

Soak the cut choy sam into a basin of salted water. Leave it aside.

Cut the chicken breast meat into thin slices.

Put all the chicken slices into a bowl and marinate it with:
1/2 tbsp of sugar
1/2 tbsp of salt
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
Mix well and set it aside in the refrigerator.

Cut the fish cakes into thin slices like above.

Peel and mince the garlic as shown above. Set aside.

STEP 2: TIME TO COOK THE NOODLES! 

Add a moderate amount of oil into the pan. When the oil is heated, add
the minced garlic.

Fry the garlic until it is golden brown and fragrant.

Next, add in the marinated chicken slices. Separate the slices so that they
don't clump together.

Once the chicken slices are half-cooked, add in the fish cake slices and fry
them too.

It is considered okay once they look like this.

Add about 1.2 litres of water into the wok.

Cover the wok and wait for the water to boil.

Once the water boils, add in 1 cube of chicken bouillon and stir well so that
it dissolves properly in the water.

Next, add in 2 tbsp of light soy sauce into the broth.

Also, add in 1 tbsp of black vinegar into the broth.

Mix well! :)

In a separate bowl, dissolve 2 1/2 tbsp of cornflour in 150ml of water.
Then, pour the mixture into the broth while the broth is still boiling. Mix the
broth immediately so that we cornflour mixture spreads evenly. Let it boil
a little more and you will notice that the broth will start to thicken.

Next, beat the two eggs and add them into the broth with a circular motion.
After adding them, mix the broth again to get the egg-drop effect.

Then, add the thick yellow egg noodles into the broth. Let them boil for about
3-4 minutes.

As you can see, there isn't much difference even after boiling the noodles.
They do not expand much.

Lastly, add the choy sam into the broth and mix well. Let it cook for about
1-2 minutes until it is soft enough.

STEP 3: SERVE WHILE IT'S HOT!

Once it looks like this, it is done! Serve it hot with black vinegar!
Yummy yums! ♥♥♥

This noodle definitely fixed all my Loh Mee cravings! I am so lucky to be able to succeed at my first try and I will probably cook this for my family members if I ever get to find this thick yellow noodles in KL. My sisters would definitely love this ♥

Credits to WK ♥ for helping me to take all the pictures in this post while we did the cooking together☺

I hope you all like this Loh Mee recipe as this is one of my favourite noodles of all time! 
Happy cookin' ☺ 


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment